New to Sikhism, Looking for Advice

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I am very happy to find this community.

Its been quite a journey to this point. I was raised a Catholic (in the US) but found it did not fit my beliefs. I checked out Protestant churches, read the Koran, prayed in Hindu temples, and tried to practice as a Buddhist. The last two faiths seemed closer but doubt remained because I could not agree with some of their core beliefs (many gods, no god, etc). Meanwhile, my family remain devout Catholics and are not exactly supportive of my search.

I believe in one God, reincarnation to grow closer to him, serving my fellow human beings, that all are created equal, and the importance of community.
I stumbled upon a website called Beliefnet and took their online quiz - it told me my beliefs are 90% close to Sikhism, a religion I knew little about. Since then, I've been exploring it and find myself drawn to it.

I hope (with your help) to learn more about Sikhism and grow closer to it since it seems to be what I've been looking for. I figure I'll start as a sahajdari and learn as I go. I'm starting with Guru Nanak's Japji.

Can anyone offer suggestions for how I should proceed on this path?

Chris (Kiran)

----------------------------------------

More...