Dera leader apologises to Sikh community

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070012509#

Dera leader apologises to Sikh community

Randeep Singh Nandal, Vikram Choudhary, Sunetra Ch

Friday, May 18, 2007 (Sirsa, Sangrur, Patiala)

After a five-day standoff between Sikhs and Dera Sacha Sauda followers in Punjab Dera leader Baba Gurmeet Singh Ram Rahim has apologised to the Sikh community for hurting their sentiments.

In a tape released by the Dera Sacha Sauda, Baba Gurmeet said he did not intend to show disrespect to Guru Gobind Singh.

''I had no intention of imitating or being disrespectful to Guru Gobind Singh. I had absolutely no intention of equating myself with Guru Gobind Singh. This is a misunderstanding that is causing a lot of needless harm and it should be cleared,'' he said.

There were violent clashes between Sikhs and Dera Sacha Sauda followers after a picture of Dera Sacha Sauda leader Baba Gurmeet Singh Ram Rahim showing him dressed in the attire of Guru Gobind Singh and baptising people appeared in most newspapers on Sunday.

There's been tension between the Akal Takth and the Dera Sacha Sauda ever since Dera leaders threw their weight behind the Congress in the recent assembly elections, accusing the Akalis of victimising their leaders.

Thousands of Dera followers and Sikhs faced off over the week with clashes in many place. The situation turned increasingly political with the BJP, the coalition partner in Punjab, criticising the Akalis' handling of the situation.

Attacks on Dera followers

Earlier, the Akal Takth had said there would be no question of accepting an apology from Dera Sacha Sauda.

In Sirsa, Haryana, where the Dera is headquartered, about 30,000 men and women gathered to protest the attacks on them by the Sikhs.

Meanwhile in Sangrur on Friday thousands gathered to cremate a Sikh protester who was killed in clashes with police and Dera followers in Sonam on Thursday night.

Sikhs in Sonam burned two homes of Dera followers in retaliation on Friday.

But now, with the Dera leader apologising, there is hope that tempers in Punjab will finally simmer down.

----------------------------------------

More...